Friday, May 9, 2014

2014 NFL Draft - Buccaneers Day 2


After acquiring Mike Evans with the 7th pick in R1, the Bucs have addressed one weakness – finding a starter opposite Vincent Jackson.  While I found the pick underwhelming, there’s no mistaking that Evans is an upgrade over Mike Williams, gives Josh McCown two very large wideouts to work with, and is an eventual #1 replacement for Jackson.

With two picks for Friday night’s action, the positions I would target are – QB, WR, OL, CB, and DL.

Here’s what I expect to happen with the first six picks of the evening:

33) Houston Texans – Louis Nix (DT, Notre Dame)
I don’t think the Texans want to tempt fate by drafting David Carr’s little brother.  I think this will be a DL pick.  Ra’Shede Hageman is my fallback.

34) Washington Redskins – Morgan Moses (T, Virginia)
I think this one is going to be a tackle, and I’m going with Moses.  Cyrus Kouandjio is my fallback.

35) Cleveland Browns – Xavier Su’a-Filo (G, UCLA)
The Browns want to upgrade at RG, and XSF might be the best player remaining on the board, regardless of position.  Marqise Lee is my fallback as a nice addition to Gordon-Cameron-Hawkins.

36) Oakland Raiders – Derek Carr (QB, Fresno State)
Unless they simply enjoy confusing the media, all indications point to the Raiders taking Carr.  I’ll be shocked if Carr isn’t a Raider.  They may even move up to #33 to secure him.

37) Atlanta Falcons – Demarcus Lawrence (DE, Boise State)
The Falcons need an impact rusher, and Lawrence is widely considered the most dynamic pass rusher remaining.  A sneaky good pick would be to take XSF as a follow up to Matthews last night.  Jace Amaro could be Tony Gonzalez’s successor.

38) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Joel Bitonio (OL, Nevada)
If XSF is off the board, I think Bitonio becomes the Bucs #1 target.  He has the ability to play both tackle and guard but would likely settle into one of the guard spots in Tampa.  I like Bitonio, but he’s not my first option.  I would first encourage the Bucs to deal down, and with a lot of talent remaining at receiver and along the offensive and defensive lines, hopefully the Bucs are able to move down a bit and add another pick or two. 


My order of preference for pick #38 –
1) Derek Carr
2) Donte Moncrief
3) Joel Bitonio
4) Lamarcus Joyner
5) XSF
6) Timmy Jernigan
7) Allen Robinson
8) Kony Ealy

No comments:

Post a Comment