Sunday, October 13, 2013

NFL Picks - Week 6


Season Record – 46-30

A look around the league reveals three undefeated teams and four winless ones.  Denver and New Orleans look like the real deal, while most are a bit skeptical of the Chiefs.  The Giants are 0-6 after a Thursday’s loss to the Bears, and the Bucs, Steelers, and Jags have combined for 13 losses.  How good are the good teams, and how bad are the bad ones?  I think one of the undefeated teams gets a scare this week, while two of the winless ones finally break into the W column.

Eagles @ Bucs
With no Dog Killer under center, the Eagles offense will be less of a guessing game this week.  I believe the Bucs defense can limit Nick Foles and company enough for their offense to take advantage of a defense that’s 30th in the league in points allowed per game.

Bengals @ Bills
Cincinnati is slow to convert doubters, but this game could go a long way in helping them do so.  With Thad Lewis under center for the Bills, the Bengals must have a dominant showing on the road.

Lions @ Browns
It looks like Calvin Johnson will miss his second straight game, and with the way the Lions floundered offensively last week at the Packers, I don’t like their chances against what I believe to be a considerably better defense. 

Raiders @ Chiefs
I think KC has a very good chance of losing this one, but I’ll give them the W, barely.  Alex Smith and the Chiefs are uncharacteristically careless with the football in this one, and Terrelle Pryor comes up just short on a potential game winning drive.  Chiefs by 3. 

Panthers @ Vikings
Flip a coin.  I’ll take the Panthers defense against Matt Cassel.  Thoughts go out to Adrian Peterson who is going through something no one should have to endure. 

Steelers @ Jets
Are the Jets this good?  Are the Steelers this bad?  How’s this for confusing?  I think the Steelers are this bad, but I’ll take them to get the win today.  My two main reasons are Dick LeBeau scheming against Geno Smith and Ben Roethlisberger working against a secondary with a missing or limited Antonio Cromartie. 

Packers @ Ravens
I feel like I always have to mention that I’m a closet Packers fan when I say things like this, but I really like the Packers to win decidedly at the Ravens.  Both have question marks on defense, but the Packers easily have the better functioning offense.  I think Eddie Lacy comes up big today, and Aaron Rodgers throws 3 TDs.   

Rams @ Texans
Bold prediction – Matt Schaub won’t throw a pick-6 for the fifth straight week.  The Rams and their 29th ranked run defense should be just what the doctor ordered. 

Jaguars @ Broncos
Denver averages 46 points a game, and Jacksonville agerages just over 10.  Final score – Broncos 46-10.

Titans @ Seahawks
Seattle returns home after two tough road games and makes it a long day for Ryan Fitzpatrick and company.  Seahawks by 17. 

Saints @ Patriots
My favorite game of the week.  This has historically been a game where New England gets the win.  They’re off an ugly road load, coming home to face a surging Saints team.  I won’t pick against the Saints until they start losing.  To me, they’re on even ground with the Seahawks as the best team in the NFC.  I really like what they’re doing on defense.  Saints by 10. 

Cardinals @ 49ers
This game worries me a little (since I’m picking the Niners).  I like Arizona’s defense, but I don’t think they’ll be able to generate enough scoring drives to get the win.  San Fran wins an ugly one.

Redskins @ Cowboys
As an admitted Tony Romo apologist, I’m really hoping for a bounce back from him tonight.  The putrid Redskins defense is just what the doctor ordered.  I’m counting on Dallas making more stops than Washington and avenging last year’s losses to the Skins. 

Colts @ Chargers
If you’re into “numbers”, this is the tease of the week.  Given what we’ve seen from these two teams, Indy should roll, but the “numbers” tell me not so fast my friend.  I can’t take the Chargers, so I’ll call a very close road win for the Colts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment