Sunday, October 20, 2013

NFL Picks - Week 7


Season Record – 55-35

Running a little slow this morning, but it was well worth it.  The young man in the picture above put on a hell of a show last night and will be playing on Sunday soon enough.  Go Noles! 

Bucs @ Falcons
Two hugely disappointing teams.  Julio Jones is out for the year, and even if Roddy White is able to suit up, he’s far from full strength.  The Falcons defense is putrid, and the Bucs are running schemes that don’t suit their player strengths.  Going with the better of two bad teams in a who-really-cares tossup. 

Bengals @ Lions
To me Cincinnati is a disappointing 4-2.  They have yet to beat any handily, and that includes poor teams such as Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo.  They go on the road to face a Lions team that should have Calvin Johnson active.  I don’t trust the Bengals.  Prove me wrong Cincinnati.

Bills @ Dolphins
Miami went into their bye losers of their last two games, but the Bills are exactly what they need to get back on track.  If they can’t control Thad Lewis on their home turf, the Dolphins don’t belong in any postseason conversation.

Patriots @ Jets
It looks like this will finally be the week that Gronk gets back on the field.  New England is banged up on both sides of the ball, but I just can’t pick an upset here.  Even without Jerod Mayo and probably Aqib Talib, the Patriots should be able to scheme Geno Smith into a couple of turnovers and win another ugly one. 

Cowboys @ Eagles
In the division that doesn’t make any sense, I’m taking what I believe is the worse team. 

Bears @ Redskins
I’m not sure I exactly trust the Bears just yet, but I know I don’t trust the Redskins.  RGIII is way off, and that defense blows.  Bears win on the road.  Big day from Forte. 

Rams @ Panthers
A week after running through the Texans, the Rams get a reality check in Carolina.  I really like what the Panthers are doing on defense, and as long as Cam doesn’t make critical mistakes with the football, the home team will get the win. 

Chargers @ Jaguars
If I were a Chargers fan I’d be a little worried about this one.  East coast early game against a nothing-to-lose winless Jags team.  How well San Diego is able to contain Justin Blackmon will go a long way in determining this one.  I like what I’ve seen from Philip Rivers, and I’m counting on him playing like a veteran and escaping with a hard-fought 3 point win.

49ers @ Titans
Jake Locker will be back under center for the Titans, but I’m not sure it will matter if San Francisco’s defense brings it’s A-game.  I think this is a sneaky spot where Tennessee could pull off the upset if Colin Kapernick and the 49ers offense struggles to generate first downs early.  I’m counting on Jim Harbaugh having his team focused.  After this one at Tennessee, they play at Jacksonville before a week nine bye.  They can’t afford to lose games like this and slip further behind the Seahawks. 

Browns @ Packers
Even with his weapons dropping like flies, I can’t go against Aaron Rodgers at home.  Brandon Weeden is really struggling, so the Packers might not miss Clay Matthews this week.  Green Bay has yet to have a statement game this season, but the Browns may be just what the doctor ordered. 

Texans @ Chiefs
Welcome to the big show Case Keenum.  With Matt Schaub unable to go, the Texans turn to the former Houston Cougar to halt their four game losing streak.  I was never really high on the Texans, but I didn’t see them as a team that would lose four straight, regardless of opponent.  Now they get to travel to the loudest football environment outside of Seattle with a rookie QB against one of the league’s best defenses.  If the Texans’ losing streak isn’t intact after this one, the NFL is truly rigged. 

Ravens @ Steelers
Neither team is where they need or want to be.  Both struggle to put together scoring drives on offense, and neither resembles their reputation on defense.  I think it’s too early to completely bury the Steelers.  I don’t think they’re going to put together a meaningful winning streak, but I do think they get it done today at home against the Ravens.   

Broncos @ Colts
Guys like Peyton Manning who are among the elite of the elite are always looking for new incentives, reasons to excel.  I think he and Broncos play with a purpose and overwhelm the Colts.  Von Miller will be back, and he’ll make an impact early on.  Broncos by 20. 

Vikings @ Giants
When the Giants finally get their first win it will happen without me picking them.  As bad as they are on both sides of the ball, I can’t responsibly find a reason to pick them.  In that light I can’t exactly list Josh Freeman being under center as a huge shot in the arm for the Vikings.  Still, he should be an improvement over Ponder and Cassel.  I’m counting on a huge game in prime time from Adrian Peterson – 200 yards and 3 TDs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment